Image credit: Nissan.
- The 2016 season kicked off at Misano in Italy with the weather playing a big part in the qualifying race.
- Bentley Boys Andy Soucek and Maxime Soulet took a surprise win in the qualifier race by taking advantage of a FCY a couple of minutes before the end of the pitstop window.
- Rowe Racing‘s BMW M6 GT3 took second.
- Belgian Audi Club Team WRT were third wth the R8 LMS.
- The Belgian Audi Club Team WRT Audi R8 LMS of René Rast and Will Stevens received a 30-second penalty when Stevens overtook under waved yellow flags during Saturday’s Qualifying Race.
- Sunday’s warm up session was red flagged after 13 minutes and didn’t resume after Jack Falla crashed the his Attempto Racing Lamborghini Huracán GT3 sustaining damage to the right front.
- 39 cars started Sunday’s main race with Laurens Vanthoor and Frédéric Vervisch ultimately winning the Sprint Cup in the Belgian Audi Club Team WRT R8 LMS.
- Maxi Buhk in the HTP Mercedes challenged in the final laps but ended the race in second place, 1.6 seconds behind the Audi duo.
- British GT announced subtle changes to the Sunoco Whelen Challenge format to favour the series’ Gentlemen Drivers by allowing them the choice between contesting the same competition as their Pro team-mate or the 200 Challenge (the 200 mile support race for the Daytona 24hr).
- With less than a week to go, the full entry list for the operning ELMS round was released. 45 cars will take the start grid with a surprise entry being the addition of a second car fielded by Aston Martin Racing Vantage GTE (#96) for Roald Goethe, Stuart Hall and Richie Stanaway.
Le Mans / ACO
The ACO announced this week a multi-year partnership agreement with international lubricant specialist Motul which sees them become the official lubricant company to the entire WEC championship including its cornerstone event, the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
- SMP Racing officially presented thier BR01 challenger at the prestigious Automobile Club de Monaco. World Endurance Championship CEO Gérard Neveu was amoung the guests.
- 33 Cars have been annouced for the season opener, the 6hrs of Silverstone next Sunday.
IMSA: WeatherTech SportsCar Championship & CTSC
- IMSA announced this week that 2012 Indianapolis 500 winner Ryan Hunter-Reay will co-drive with Marc Goossens in the #90 Visit Florida Corvette DP in next Saturday’s IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship BUBBA burger Sports Car Grand Prix at Long Beach (ed: Can IMSA possibly get any longer race titles?). Hunter-Reay will be filling in for Ryan Dalziel, who has a schedule conflict as he also competes in the opening round of the FIA World Endurance Championship at Silverstone with ESM.
Other Series / News
- Michael Carcamo, most recently Program Director for Nissan’s LM P1 programme, now takes up the position of Global Motorsport Director of Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. as well as Program Director at NISMO. Read the Q&A with him here.